Before Applying to Universiti Teknologi Petronas (UTP)
Why Study at UTP
- UTP is the first and only private university in Malaysia to be rated a maximum 5-star overall rating in the Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) Stars University Rating System.
- UTP is nestled on a 400-hectare land within the quaint yet developing locale of Bandar Seri Iskandar in Perak, Malaysia.
- UTP has made a conscious effort to ensure that the teaching and research facilities are built to enable efficient academic delivery as well as support groundbreaking research and development.
- UTP has produced more than 15,000 graduates and currently has an enrolment of over 1,200 foundation students, 6,000 undergraduates and 1,200 postgraduates from more than 66 countries around the world.
Awards & Rankings
- Rated 5-star by QS in 2018
- Top 200 in the 2015 QS World University Rankings by Subject for Chemical Engineering
- The only private university in Malaysia with a 6-star rating in research
- Ranked 601-650 in the QS World University Rankings
- Recipient of the BrandLaureate BestBrands Award in Tertiary Education (Engineering, Science & Technology)
Internal Scholarships Provided by UTP
Yayasan UTP provides three types scholarships to qualified students. YUTP offers full, partial and once-off scholarships. The three types are Yayasan UTP Scholarship (Undergraduate), Yayasan UTP Prestigious Scholarship (Postgraduate), and Bursary (Student Support Fund).
What You Should Know About Universiti Teknologi Petronas (UTP)
UTP provides on-campus accommodation for all students. Fees for accommodation are charged at RM190 per month on twin sharing basis.
There are no on-campus transportation provided. However, there are various means of travelling to and from the campus. Students can take the MyBas, which travels from Ipoh to Seri Iskandar. Via the KTM ETS from KL Sentral also stops at Batu Gajah, students can take the taxi or Grab to UTP directly. There are also buses available from TBS to Seri Iskandar.
There is ample parking space provided for staff, students and visitors.
Things to Do Around the Campus
There are various nearby local restaurants as well as fast food places such as McDonald’s, KFC, Domino’s Pizza, Pizza Hut, Subway, and Secret Recipe. D’Mall Billion Bandar Seri Iskandar is also located nearby, which has a cinema and a bowling alley.
UTP has 24-hour security at the main doors. Visitors are also required to register at the security counters before entering the university.
Education at Universiti Teknologi Petronas (UTP)
Most Popular Courses
Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Information Technology
Applying to UTP with SPM Trial Results
Students applying to UTP for the March intake can submit their SPM trial results. They will receive a conditional offer letter and will be required to present their actual SPM results on Registration Day.
Affiliated Organisations & Job Opportunities
Although work placement is not guaranteed, 90% of UTP graduates are employed within 6 months of graduation. UTP also has a Career Services Centre, which aims to assist students with post-graduation internships and job placements.
Graduation ceremonies are held once a year typically in October or November. The ceremonies are held for students who have achieved a CGPA of 2.00 and above, with MUET score in Band 3.