Where to Start

Bringing Your Family

Published by Afterschool.my on Jan 17, 2020, 02:34 pm

To bring your family members to Malaysia with you, you need to apply for a Malaysia Dependent Pass. The Malaysia Dependent Pass is a visa for families issued to foreigners in Malaysia.



1. Am I allowed to bring my dependents with me?

If you are a full-time student in Malaysia on a course/programme that is more than twelve months long (a year), then yes!

2. Who qualifies as my dependents? 

A dependent pass is only applicable to your family members. Therefore, your dependents are your spouse, your children under the age of 21 years old, and your parents.

If you have an adopted child, the child also qualifies as your dependent. Do prepare their adoption certificates, however!

3. Who will approve my Dependent Pass?

The Immigration Department of Malaysia will approve your dependent pass; however, you must notify your education institution/university if you intend to bring dependents with you.



4. Who is eligible to apply for a Malaysia Dependent Pass? 

If you are studying, postgraduate students from all countries are eligible to apply for a dependent pass. You must be enrolled in either a public or private education institutional/university and have a student pass as issued by the Immigration Department.

5. What about undergraduate students? 

Only undergraduate students from the following 17 countries can apply for a Malaysia Dependent Pass:

  1. Saudi Arabia
  2. Bahrain
  3. United Arab Emirates (UAE)
  4. Turkey
  5. Qatar
  6. Azerbaijan
  7. Palestinian Territories
  8. Kuwait
  9. Yemen
  10. Iran
  11. Syria
  12. Oman
  13. Jordan
  14. Lebanon
  15. Iraq
  16. Libya
  17. Maldives

6. What is the application process like? 

Your education institution/university will oversee the handling of the Malaysia Dependent Pass on your behalf. Once your student pass has been issued, the application will be made through Education Malaysia Global Services (EMGS).

To apply for a Malaysia Dependent Pass, the following documents are essential:

  • A copy of the student’s latest student pass
  • A copy of student offer letter from the education institutional/university
  • A copy of student passport (front page, visa page – A4 size)
  • A copy of dependent passport (all pages including empty pages – A4 size)

            - Recommended passport validity is at least 12 months from the intended date of arrival in Malaysia

  • 2 passport size photographs of the dependents

            - 45mmx35mm

            - White background

  • Proof of family relationships (translated and certified by the Embassy OR letter from embassy)

            - Marriage certificate

            - Birth certificate for parents/children

            - Custody letter of the child (if applicable)

            - Adoption letter of the child (if applicable)

  • Forms of payments

            - Cheque/bank draft issued and payable to EMGS

            - Cheque dated less than 6 months from the current date

            - Inter-bank transfer slip

After making your application through the education institutional/university, EMGS and the Immigration Department will process the documents.

Once approved, Immigration will issue your dependants with a Long Term Social Visit Pass (LTSVP) for a maximum duration of 12 months at a time. The LTSVP will only be valid for as long as the student has a valid student pass.

 7. What is the cost of the Dependent Pass?

If you are planning to apply for a Malaysia Dependent Pass, you need to prepare for the following fees:


And there you have it - bringing your family to Malaysia is possible! With the dependent pass, you can bring your loved ones to Malaysia as you embark on your journey to higher education.

Latest News

Need help?