University of Reading Malaysia School Essay Competition
Published by Afterschool.my on Jul 21, 2021, 11:02 am
Are you passionate about writing? Want to win amazing prizes for your works? The University of Reading Malaysia is holding a school essay competition for all students interested in writing an essay on the topic of, “How I would help lead Malaysia to a brighter future.”
The competition is open to two categories of students:
- Category A – Secondary level students that are studying SPM, IGCSE, or equivalent
- Category B – Pre-University students studying UEC, A-levels, STPM, university foundation or equivalent
Prizes* will be awarded to the most creative and inspiring videos as follows:
- 1st Prize - RM1,000 + RM3,888 Bursary for study at UoRM
- 2nd Prize - RM800 + RM2,888 Bursary for study at UoRM
- 3rd Prize - RM500 + RM1,888 Bursary for study at UoRM
If you are interested in participating then register yourself here before July 31, 2021. Once registered, you can get writing and submit your original essay (of between 2000-2500 words) on the given topic, following the competition rules and guidelines, to [email protected] before August 31, 2021. This is a solo completion so many students from the same school are able to participate.
Before you start working on your essay make sure to take note of the competition rules as registration means you have accepted the following rules:
- There will be no charges for the competition. Submission of the competition will be taken to mean acceptance of the Competition rules and the Terms and Conditions.
- The competition is open for two categories of students. Category A is for secondary level students (SPM / IGCSE) and Category B is for Pre-University level students.
- This is a solo competition for both the categories.
- One participant only can submit one essay. All participants need to register via our online form latest by 31st July 2021. All essays need to be submitted latest by 31st August 2021. Any submissions beyond the submission deadline will not be accepted.
- Only original essays will be considered for the competition. Previously published essays are therefore excluded. Any form of plagiarism will result in disqualification.
- Length of Essay: The essay shall be no longer than 2,500 words, footnotes included. Papers should not be shorter than 2000 words.
- Essays should be written in the English Language.
- The participant must have full copyrights to the submitted essay. Competition submissions must not have any obscene, violent, racist or defamatory content. Incomplete entries or entries that do not comply with the formal specifications will be automatically disqualified.
- Typed on a A4 size electronic page in MS Word format
- Font size shall be 12 points
- 1.5 interlinear space
- Margins of 2.54 cm on top, bottom and both sides
- Numbering of the page shall be numbered consecutively in Arabic numbers (i.e.1, 2, 3 etc.). Such numbering may be in the footer/header
- Participants may use any recognised style of referencing system and this must be consistently used through the Written Submission. The List of References shall include all cited texts throughout the Written Submission.
Cover of the Written Submissions
- This should include Name of the Participant, Email ID, Contact Number and Name of the School
- The List of References and List of Abbreviations should also be submitted along-with the essay submissions.
- Following criteria might be used in assessing the essay:
- Content – Originality
- Clarity and Structure
- How inspiring the essay is
- Copyright in all contributions accepted will remain with the authors, and they are free to re-use their own material.
- Essays incompatible with the above rules and conditions will not be considered. Participation to the competition implies acceptance of the above terms and conditions.
- Winners will be notified through their school. Winners will be mentioned in the university’s social media.
- *Cash prize will be distributed to the school. A bursary letter will be given for the stated amount to student and applied in the form of a discount to course fees for study at UoRM in 2021 or 2022.
- In case of any questions or queries, please contact Devi at [email protected] or Joyce [email protected].
The submissions will be evaluated by an expert panel from the University and all decisions the panel makes will be final. The competition winners will be announced on September 17, 2021.
So, apply fast, be creative with your work, and good luck!
No Rise in Fees for University Students Throughout Pandemic
Top 10 Highest Paying Jobs in Malaysia
Top Medical Courses in Malaysia & What it Takes
Preparation Tips before Enrolling in a University That You Must Know
10 Reason You Should be Studying Psychology
To find out more scholarships and courses, click here and here.
Afterschool.my is Malaysia’s no 1 higher education website that provides helpful information on courses, institutions and scholarships for students transitioning from secondary school to university level.