OUM’S Master of English Studies programme, or MEST, is an advanced degree that caters to learners seeking to deepen and widen their appreciation of English. Suitable for both English and non-English majors, and uniquely different from traditional offerings, the MEST curriculum is reflective of English as an evolving intellectual discipline offered in progressive universities across the globe. Providing learners with a thorough immersion in the discipline, MEST features exciting courses in writing, linguistics, literature, and cultural studies.
Learners who successfully complete an English Studies programme at OUM can expect to be able to:
- demonstrate advanced English language proficiency skills and knowledge
- engage imaginatively in the advanced process of reading, analysing and/or producing complex and sophisticated literary and non-literary texts and discourse
- demonstrate knowledge and appreciation of contextual approaches to the production and reception of texts and discourses across fields
- reflect critically upon textual production and reception across time and space and in their own practice
- apply a range of subject-specific and transferrable skills, including high-order conceptual, analytic and communication skills embark on further study in English or related disciplines at higher levels.