IUMW and the importance of big data
Published by Afterschool.my on Dec 15, 2016, 05:14 pm
International University of Malaya-Wales in partnership with Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation (MDEC) successfully organised a Big Data Science and Applications Seminar.
Speaking for the Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation was the Head of Big Data Analytics Programs, Nur Azreena Azizan who explained to the delegates the main roles of MDEC in bringing the country closer to realising its aspirations of becoming a digital nation. Part of the role MDEC plays includes creating the ecosystem, setting-up environments conducive to start-ups, as well as working with enterprises and companies who are looking to adopt Big Data Analytics.
Their efforts include driving up BDA adoption and talent by working with companies, institutions and governments worldwide.
Other topics presented by world-renowned speakers and researchers were as follows:
- “Interpreting datasets to understand environmental change: A coastal case study” by Professor Mike Phillips, Pro-Vice Chancellor, University of Wales Trinity Saint David, UK.
- “A need for exploratory visual analytics and the design of explanatory variables in X informatics for X science” by Professor Yuzuru Tanaka, Hokkaido University, Japan.
- “Re-wiring our brain in the cloud: One Year on…” by Professor Eric Tsui, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong.
- “Big Data Transforming Enterprise Business Today” by Mr. Kelly Wee, Chief Information Officer, Huawei Technologies, Malaysia.
- “Smart expenses: from data acquisition to data analysis” by Dr. Sophea Prum, MIMOS Bhd, Malaysia.
- “Educational Data Mining to Improve Student Learning” by Dr. Kiu Ching Chieh, Taylor’s University, Malaysia.
- “Big data analytics for cyber security” by Mr. Riyaz Ahamed, International University of Malaya-Wales
- “Modeling and Predicting Prominent Microblog Users Behaviour Over Specific Event Phases”by Ms. Imen Bizid, PhD student at University of La Rochelle, France.
- “Creating Value with Analytics and Big Data” by Dr. Keeratpal Singh, Independent Consultant, Malaysia.
- “Contextual Personal Document Management” by Ms. Jaspal Kaur, PhD student at International University of Malaya-Wales.
- “Machine Learning Applications - A review” by Mr. Chih Khiam Ping, PhD student at International University of Malaya-Wales.
The panel speakers strongly advocated the importance of big data and called for greater awareness of how big data analytics helps organisations harness their data and use it to identify new opportunities.