Yayasan Bank Rakyat Pinjaman Pendidikan Boleh Ubah (PPBU) GuideMay 18, 2017
What it is
PPBU is offered to students pursuing tertiary level education from Skills Certificate, Diploma, Bachelor’s Degree, Professional, Master’s Degree, and Doctorate (PH.D). Its aim is to aid the social and economic development of Malaysians by enabling bright but needy students to receive undergraduate education at local Public OR Private Higher Learning Institutions and Training Institutes in the country on a full-time basis.
What are the Minimum Requirements?
For PPBU , their requirements are very specific, broken down into general and specific, based on the level of study you are currently at:
- Malaysian citizen
- NOT less than 18 years old during application and acceptance of the study offer.
- NOT exceeding 30 years old upon graduation for Malaysia Skills Certificate, Diploma and Bachelors Degree.
- NOT exceeding 45 years upon graduation for Masters Degree, Doctorate & PhD.
- Confirmation of admission from the public OR private University OR Training Centre.
- Applicants must have/create a savings account with Bank Rakyat with a minimum of RM100 account balance.
- Only fields of studies which are recognized by the Public Services Department (JPA) / Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA) / Malaysian Vocational Training Council (NVTC) / Government Agencies (Malaysia) concerned and acknowledged by the Board of Trustees of YBR.
- for Doctorate / PHD the qualified applicants must hold a Masters Degree qualification with CGPA of 3.00 and above OR a Bachelor’s Degree with a CGPA of 3.75 and above.
- for Masters Degree, applicant must hold a Bachelor’s Degree with CGPA of 3.00 and above.
- for Degree, applicants must hold a Diploma OR STPM (Sijil Tinggi Pelajaran Malaysia) with CGPA 3.0 and above OR – STAM equivalent to STPM OR Matriculation with at least CGPA 3.00 and above
- for Diploma, the applicant must have SPM (Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia) qualification with a minimum grade of 5A & 4B (No grades below C)
- For Skills Diploma (Diploma Kemahiran), applicants should have attained or currently holding Level 2 Sijil Kemahiran Malaysia (SKM) qualification.
- For Skills Certificate (Sijil Kemahiran), applicants should have passed SPM, with a mandatory pass in Bahasa Malaysia and at least 2 credits in any other subjects.
What courses do they cover?
Priority is given to the following fields of study
- Business Management
- Human Resources
- Media Communication
- Actuarial Science
However, applicants involved in other fields may apply as well, as PPBU does sponsor all other courses , with the only two exceptions being medicine and piloting.
How much do they sponsor?
PPBU gives out maximum amounts based on the level of study you apply for.
- PhD: Up to RM18,600 annually
- Masters: Maximum of RM12,000 annually
- Bachelor’s Degree: Maximum of RM9,500 annually (Only RM6,500 for UiTM)
- Diploma: Maximum of RM7,500 annually (UiTM & Politeknik only RM6,500)
- Skills Diploma: Up to RM30,000 (2 years).
- Skills Certificate: Up to RM4,920 annually.
What exemptions are there? Will I have to pay the whole amount back?
PPBU has an extensive breakdown of discounts given to those who do well. Below is the list of ranges of CGPA achieved compared to the discount you will receive.
- 3.75 : Loan is converted into a scholarship
- 3.74 – 3.5: You will only have to pay 10% of the borrowed amount.
- 3.0 – 3.49: You will only have to pay 30% of the borrowed amount.
- 2.99 – 2.50: You will only have to pay 50% of the borrowed amount.
- 0 – 2.49: You will only have to pay 100% of the borrowed amount.
What about the repayment? How do I do that? When do I have to do that?
Upon graduation, students are required to submit their full academic transcripts along with a letter to the office of graduation YBR through e-mail or post. Repayment to PPBU is done via two methods, namely either through internet banking(i-rakyat) or in any branch of Bank Rakyat. Postponement of repayment will only be allowed if the student is accepted to pursue their studies at a higher level and for approved reasons which are subject to the discretion of Yayasan Bank Rakyat.
How to apply?
To apply to PPBU, please click on our Yayasan Bank Rakyat (Pembiayaan Pendidikan Boleh Ubah) 2017 page