In the construction industry, professionals with special training and experience in constructions cost planning, commercial management and contract management. Quantity surveyors are needed throughout the entire life cycle of construction project.
Academic pathways for quantity surveyors in Masters and PhD are in related to area like construction economics, cost management, construction technology, law and contracts, construction information technologies, human resources and adjudication process, health and safety in construction, and facilities management.
Undergraduate studies will train students by exposing them to subjects related to the following areas:
- Construction technologies
- Commercial law
- Surveying and monitoring in the built and natural environment
- Cost management and modelling
- Computer facilitated management processes
- Safety and health management
- Procurement and contract management
- Construction project management
You need to have good results in one of the following:
- Foundation studies
- A Level
- STPM from Malaysia
- Diploma in a related field recognized by the Malaysian Authorities
- Or any relevant qualifications recognized by the Malaysian Authorities
A quantity surveyors need to be practical individuals with a logical and methodical approach to problem solving, skills with numbers, specialized computer skills, analytical skills, understanding both of construction techniques and technologies, great communication skills, negotiation skills, and great social skills and working with teams.
If you think you have these skills and like these things, this is a great course for you.
If you need to know your personality type, you might be interested in taking any of the following tests:
We found these job titles:
- Purchasing Executive
- Contract Administrator/Executive
- Contract Manager
- Quantity Surveyor
- Senior Quantity Surveyor Cum Contract Manager
- Project & Contract Manager
- M & E Quantity Surveyor
And many other titles in various industries.
Here is a summary of the pay-scale for degree holders in this field:
- Executive/junior positions: RM2,200 – RM3,500
- Procurement Executive: (3-5 years’ experience): RM3,500 – RM5,000
- Quantity Surveyor (2-3 years’ experience): RM4,500 – RM7,000
- Top Management Positions (over 6 years’ experience): RM8,000 – RM18,000
There is an ample of demand for quantity surveyors in Malaysia and around the world, especially developing countries. In Malaysia, QS specialists are highly demanded and many sources list QS as one of the top 10 jobs demanded with high pay in Malaysia.
There is a number of professional certificates in this field. Please check the following useful links for updates and details:
Institutions offering this course
Fees : RM49,500Intake : SeptemberFees : RM36,000Intake : September
Intake : N/A
Intake : May, December