Medicine is the science and practice of the prevention of diseases. The subject looks into the different methods of diagnosis, treatment methods and ways to prevent the same illness from occurring. Studying medicine takes a lot of hard work and long hours, however the end result is what most Doctors are in for.
A medical degree takes 5 years to complete. The first 3 years are spent in classroom where students are exposed to theory. Students spend the final 2 years in government hospitals to complete their practical which is called clinical practice.
Every university offering medical program will have a tie up with a government hospital for their clinical practice. While most students can get through the medical degree with hard work, only passion can make someone a good doctor.
There are 17 universities in Malaysia that are recognised/accredited by MMC to offer medical program. They are:
- Universiti Malaya (UM)
- Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM)
- Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM)
- Universiti Malaysia Sarawak (UNIMAS)
- Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM)
- Penang Medical College
- International Medical University (IMU)
- Universiti Islam Antarabangsa (UIA)
- Manipal University
- Royal College of Medicine Perak
- Asian Institute of Medicine, Science & Technology (AIMST)
- Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UiTM)
- University Malaysia Sabah (UMS)
- Allianze College of Medical Sciences
- Monash University Sunway Campus
- UCSI University
- Cyberjaya University College of Medical Sciences
- Human anatomy
- Medical embryology
- Cell structure and functions
- Composition and distribution of body fluids
- Various areas of Physiology
- Medical biochemistry covering macromolecules
- Intermediary metabolism
- Biochemical basis of cellular processes and some aspects of molecular biology.
These personality type codes serve ONLY as a guideline and can be taken with a pinch of salt. Always consult with your school counsellor or ask our experts for further guidance!
Myers-Briggs: ISTJ, ESTJ, INTP, ENTJ
These types all share the Thinking preference (T), or a preference for objective decision making as opposed to taking into account personal values in making decisions.
Find your Myers-Briggs personality type here.
Holland Vocational Code: SIR (Social, Investigative, Realistic)
Find where you belong in the RIASEC model here.
- Internal Medicine: Deals with the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of adult diseases.
- Paediatrics: The medical care of infants, children, and adolescents.
- Geriatrics: Healthcare of the elderly.
- Obstetics and Gynaecology: Works with the female productive organs in their pregnant and non-pregnant state.
- Anaesthesiology: Anaesthesia and pre-operative medicine.
- Family Medicine: Comprehensive medical healthcare for people of all ages.
- Oncology: Deals with the dignosis and treatment of cancer.
- Ophthalmology: Work revolves around the anatomy, functions and diseases of the eye.
- Emergency Medicine: The practical training to care for patients with acute illnesses or injuries which require immediate medical attention.
- Pathology: The study and diagnosis of diseases.
- Toxicology: Handles the adverse effects of chemicals on living organisms.
Entry Level: RM 2,400 to RM 3,500Professional: RM 8,000 to RM 10,500
In Malaysia: In Malaysia, it is important for Doctors to be informed that they are required to serve a minimum of two years in the public services after registering under the Malaysian Medical Council (MMC).It is compulsory for doctors to complete the minimum 2 year service in the government otherwise they risk losing their registration at the MMC.
The demand for Medicine graduates abroad are quite high. A number of countries in the Middle East such as the UAE, Kuwait, Qatar and Bahrain are open to nurses and doctors from all around the world.
In European states such as the UK and France, due to the economical setback, has opened up a lot of opportunities for foreign doctors to establish themselves.
- Intake : September
Institutions offering this course
Intake : SeptemberIntake : April and September
- Intake : July
Intake : August
- Fees : RM106,700 (Annually)Intake : March
Intake : April and October
Intake : September
Intake : April and September
- Intake : February and SeptemberIntake : September, February
Intake : January