Most video game jobs can be broken down into three categories – designer, programmer, and artist. In order to get into the game industry, you will need to finish a degree in game design and take some relevant subject such as literature and mythology, computer programming and math. However, a degree does not instantly warrant you a job at a game company and you may initially dabble on jobs that are more into graphic design or programming before you finally become a game designer.
Academically, your pathway to postgraduate education has a wide range of options because you will be actively involved in graphic design, animation, conceptual art, and most of all, programming. So you have a good options in terms of the academic path.
Areas of research in the game industry may include:
- Play Experience
- Mobile Game Development
- Open and Virtual Reality
- Advance Game Programming and Skills Development Algorithms
- Artificial Intelligence
- 3D Environments
- Many other areas of research
You will be learning subjects like:
- Creative Thinking, Idea Generating Methodology, and Story Development
- 2D & 3D Animation
- Game Development Fundamentals and Advance Principles
- Digital Video and Audio Production
- Motion Analysis and Motion Capture Technologies
- Law and Ethics
- Programming and Mathematics
- Data Structure and Algorithms
- Computer Graphics and Mobile Game Development
- Research Methods For Computing and Technology
- Basic & Advance 3D Computer Character Modelling
Diploma: SPM, O Level, or Equivalent
Degree: STPM, A Level, Foundation in Science or Computing, Diploma, or Equivalent
There are various types of personality for game designers of creative thinkers and that may include:
- Introversion (I), Intuition (N), Thinking (T), Judgment (J) or (INTJ).
- Extraversion (E), Intuition (N), Thinking (T), Perception (P) or (ENTP).
Find your Myers-Briggs personality type here.
Holland Vocational Code: ESR (Enterprising, Social, Realistic)
Some of the jobs for a graduate of game design in Malaysia are:
- Digital Designer
- Interactive / Web Designer
- Front End Designer
- Multimedia/Graphic Designer
- Motion Graphic Designer
- Auto-cad Designer Drafter
- Mobile Game Developer
- Mobile Game Quality Assurance Associate
- Mobile Apps Developer
- iOS/Android Developer
- Front End .Net Developer
- 3D Game Artist
Range of monthly salaries in the industry:
Entry Level: RM3,000 – RM4,000
2-4 years experience: RM4,500 – RM5,500
4 – 6 years experience: RM6,000 – RM13,000
Senior posts (Over 6 years of experience): above RM13,000
It is important to note that the game development industry in Malaysia is a relatively slow industry and requires individuals with skills and love for the craft to bring this industry to the mainstream consoles. However, the mobile game industry in Malaysia is a very active industry.
Top countries known for game development are the United States, England, Canada, Japan, Germany, Poland, Sweden, France, Spain, Australia and the Netherlands.
Intake : 31 May, 06 September, 08 NovemberFees : RM 74,700 (USD 18,680) + £570Intake : January, AprilFees : RM 68,400 (USD 18,250) + £570