The Tun Suffian Scholarship
Since its establishment on 11 June 2002 the Tun Suffian Foundation, under the Joint Royal Patronage of Their Royal Highnesses the Sultan and the Raja Permaisuri of Perak, has, among other things, provided financial assistance to young Malaysians pursuing law studies and young lawyers attending educational seminars and conferences both here and abroad.
The Tun Suffian Cambridge Scholarship (modelled on the Rhodes Scholarships, the oldest international fellowships initiated after the death of Cecil Rhodes in 1902 to bring outstanding students to the University of Oxford) has received official recognition from the authorities at Cambridge. In March 2008, Low Weng Tchung, a Perak-born Malaysian student became the first Tun Suffian Scholar at Cambridge where he obtained a first class in the LLM degree.
In addition to the Tun Suffian Cambridge Scholarship, the Foundation, subject to availability of qualified applicants, is also offering the following awards:
• Bachelor of Law (LLB) at Malaysian Public Universities recognised by the Qualifying Board of the Malaysian Bar
• Master of Law (LLM) at the University of Cambridge
• Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) at Malaysian Universities recognised by the Ministry of Higher Education
• Post Medical Diploma at any medical Institution either local and abroad recognised by the appropriate medical authorities in Malaysia
Except for those pursuing the PhD in selected Malaysian universities, these awards are open only to Malaysian citizens.
May 30, 2017
THE TUN SUFFIAN LLB SCHOLARSHIPS (from Year 2 onwards)
• An LLB scholar must maintain a CGPA of above 2.7 in all his/her semester examinations, failing which the Board of Trustees of the Foundation reserves the right to have the scholar’s scholarship suspended or withdrawn.
THE TUN SUFFIAN CAMBRIDGE LLM SCHOLARSHIPS (Maximum 1 Year)
An Applicant must:
• provide evidence of admission into one of the colleges in Cambridge
• indicate the chosen area of specialization
• show proof that he/she has additional funds sufficient to maintain his/her studies for the duration of the LLM programme at Cambridge
THE TUN SUFFIAN PhD SCHOLARSHIPS (Maximum 3 years)
• All PhD scholars are required to:
(a) Take no longer than 3 years to complete their PhD course;
(b) Ensure that their assigned supervisors submit once every three months a detailed report on the progress of their dissertation;
(c) Agree that the Board of Trustees of the Tun Suffian Foundation reserves the right to have any scholar’s scholarship suspended or withdrawn should a negative report from a scholar’s assigned supervisor is received, it being understood that it shall be within the absolute discretion of the Board to decide whether a report is negative or otherwise.
THE TUN SUFFIAN POST-MEDICAL/HEALTH BURSARIES
The applicant must provide evidence that the post medical course he/she intends to pursue whether in Malaysia or abroad is one which is recognised by the appropriate medical authorities in Malaysia.
CONDITIONS APPLICABLE TO ALL SCHOLARSHIPS
• ALL SCHOLARS (except post-medical/health scholars) must undertake:
(a) That they are not in receipt of any other scholarship, fellowship or monetary grant from any other body;
(b) That if at any time in the future a scholar obtains any other scholarship, fellowship or monetary grant from any other body, the scholar shall immediately inform the Foundation, in which event his/her Tun Suffian Scholarship would be withdrawn forthwith and all monies while expended by the Foundation on the scholar shall be refunded by him/her without delay.
• ALL APPLICANTS must be from Malaysian citizens with the exception of the Tun Suffian PhD Scholarship which is also available to non-Malaysian pursuing the course in Malaysia.
Law (LLB ) - From Year 2 onwards
Masters of Law (LLM) - Maximum 1 year
All PhD courses - Maximum 3 years
How to Apply
All applications for scholarships shall, subject to the qualifications hereinafter stated, be submitted to the Honorary Secretary at the following address:
The Honorary Secretary Tun Suffian Foundation Secretariat
Bangunan Sultan Azlan Shah, University of Malaya
50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Latest ScholarshipsView all