|New Sibu University already in the pipeline|
|Posted: 21 September 2012|
- In tandem with the recent ground-breaking of University College of Technology Sarawak, which is expected to meet the high demand for skilled workers under the Sarawak Corridor of Renewable Energy (Score).
- The possibility of having a university in Sibu, if everything goes as scheduled, is likely to happen in a year's time.
- A survey found that 52% of the jobs created under Score from now until 2030 would require at least semi-skilled workers. By 2030, at least 100,000 more engineers and 500,000 skilled workers would be required in Sarawak.
- With that said, more institutions of higher learning as well as skills development would have to be established by then.
- The idea of building the university was made during the Sibu by-election in May 2010 when Najib visited Kolej Laila Taib, where he agreed to the college being upgraded to a university.
- However, Higher Education Minister Datuk Khaled Nordin advised that a separate licence be applied to set up a university instead since Kolej Laila Taib was already doing well.
- A letter of offer to set up the university was subsequently issued last May.
- In news releases published in May, Second Finance Minister Dato Sri Wong Soon Koh said the first student intake for the new technology university in Sibu would be in September 2013.
- It would accept foreign students and for the locals, he said apart from Laila Taib College, the new university would serve as an alternative choice for higher education for them.
|Leave Comments. Your comments will appear on your wall, please be mindful of what you are posting.|
| || |
| ||Back to News Page|
| More News|
| - Malaysia shows improved scores in Maths and Science at PISA global assessment|
| - Career Fair for Engineers happening at Universiti Teknologi Malaysia|
| - St John Institution plans to set up university college|
| - UCSI University to host academic talks & lab workshops|
| - University of Southampton Malaysia expands its efforts to advance Mechanical Engineering students|
| - Sunway Education to host Open Day this 14 and 15 December|
| - No promise placement for teaching graduates of Malaysian public universities|
| - 45,550 PTPTN blacklisted borrowers have made loan repayments|
| - Universiti Utara Malaysia seals MoU with Professional Golf of Malaysia|
| - Apply for scholarship now using your SPM trial results|