IPT offering dentistry still lacking according to Khaled
June 25, 2012
- Higher Education Ministry Datuk Seri Mohamed Khaled Nordin highlights the lack of institutions of higher learning (IPT) offering dentistry.
- Only 12 IPTs including six by the private sector are offering the course and they are only capable of producing 200 to 300 students a year.
- One of the factors is the quota set by the Malaysian Dental Council that based the intake on the number of teaching staff.
- Most dentists do not wish to teach as setting private businesses earns higher income.
- The Vinayaka Missions International University College (VMIUC) who currently runs the Penang International Dental College (PIDC) is expected to open a university college based on dentistry soon.