Institutions and tertiary programmes covered by PTPTNApril 11, 2017
Not all institutions and programmes they offer are eligible for PTPTN loans. Read here to ensure a smooth application process.
Image via World Bank Photo Collection – Flickr
Can I apply PTPTN for [insert name of institution]?
The PTPTN loan is open to students who are continuing their studies at local higher education institutions (IPTA) and Private Higher Education Institutions (IPTS) only.
It is in accordance with Section 2 of the National Higher Education Fund Corporation Act 1997 (Act 566) of higher education institutions established under:
- Universities and University Colleges Act 1971;
- Institut Teknologi MARA Act 1976;
- Private Higher Educational Institutions Act 1996;
- Polytechnic schools established and maintained by the Minister under the Education Act 1996; and
- Any institution of higher education established or deemed to have been established under the Education Act 1996 and has been determined by the Minister as an institution of higher education.
Can I apply PTPTN for [insert education programme]?
|Education Level||Institutions funded by PTPTN|
|Full-time Diploma||IPTA, Polytechnic and IPTS|
|Part-time Diploma||IPTA, Polytechnic and IPTS*|
|Long distance Diploma||IPTA|
|Advanced Diploma||IPTA and Polytechnic|
|Full-time First Bachelor’s Degree||IPTA and IPTS|
|Part-time First Bachelor’s Degree||IPTA and IPTS*|
|Full-time/Part-time/Long distance Master’s Degree||IPTA|
|Full-time/Part-time/Long distance PhD||IPTA|
|Full-time/Part-time/Long distance Professional Course||IPTA|
*Limited to students in selected private institutions: UNITEM, UNITAR, Wawasan Open University and Asia E University.
Does PTPTN fund Foundation programmes?
PTPTN only funds foundation programmes from these 5 institutions:
- Multimedia University (MMU)
- Universiti Tenaga Nasional (UNITEN)
- Universiti Teknologi Petronas (UTP)
- Universiti Tun Abdul Razak (UNIRAZAK)
- UNITAR International University (UNITAR)
Note: PTPTN does not offer education funding to students who attend bridging/ foundation courses at Polytechnics.
Does PTPTN fund other Pre-University programs like A-Levels, IB, AUSMAT?
No, it doesn’t.
Can I apply PTPTN for twinning programmes?
Yes, you can. However, PTPTN only provides financing during your course of study in Malaysia.
I have graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree as PTPTN recipient. Can I apply again for PTPTN if I want to pursue diploma in another field?
No. A second loan will be considered only for students advancing their education to a higher level.
Will the loan cover my first semester studies if I apply for PTPTN during my second semester?
No. The loan duration is based on the semester of your application. If the application was made during your second semester, the loan will be approved from the second semester onwards until completion of study.
Want a scholarship instead? Click here!
Click here for 6 must know scholarship tips!
Click here for the latest scholarships
Click here for the PTPTN guide 2017