Physics is everything and everything in existence can be pretty much narrowed down to physics.
It is the knowledge of nature that studies matter, motion and space-time, energy and force, and everything in between.
This field has expanded far beyond the traditional or classic physics. From quantum physics to cosmology, a good physicist will be trained to understand theoretical, experimental, and applications of the physical laws of nature.
- Mazlan Othman (Malaysian)
- Isaac Newton
- Émilie du Châtelet
- Micheal Faraday
- Marie Curie
- James Clerk Maxwell
- Albert Einstein
- Sally Ride
- Stephen Hawking
- Richard Feynman
- And many more.
Physicists invented the Internet, they made the laws of your mobile phones and computers from the electronics to the programming, they have invented the Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), GPS technologies, electricity, the discovery of radiation and radioactive elements, rocket science, not to mention the exploration of space and time travel theoretical principles. Probably, everything you use in your daily life can be attributed to physicists.
Holding a degree in physics, will put you on the path of research in experimental, theoretical and applied physics. Fields of research in masters and PhD include, but not limited, to the following:
- Satellite technologies and orbital mechanics
- Materials Fabrication and Characterization for Electronics
- Optoelectronics and Biomedicine
- Condensed Matter Materials and Devices
- Photonic Materials and Devices
- Modeling and Simulation of Condensed Matter Devices
- X-ray Structure Determination and Characterization (Organic/Organometallic Compounds, Non-linear Optical Materials, Natural Products)
- Thermal Processes
- Digital Image Processing
- Optical and Remote Sensing Technology
- Photonic Devices, System and Applications
- Nearshore and Coastal Oceanography
- Petroleum Geoscience
- Energy research
- Theoretical and computational physics
- Radiology research
You, the student, will be exposed to subjects related to the following areas of knowledge:
- Mathematics, advance mathematics, calculus, and other forms of math
- Electronics, electricity, and magnetism
- Experimental and practical physics
- Quantum mechanics
- Optics, instrumentation, micro-processing, and micro-computing
- Nuclear and atomic physics
- Atmospheric, plasma, radiation and lasers
- Semiconductors and material science
- And so much more
Masters and PhD holders in physics can go anywhere in the world.
Good results in one of the following or equivalent:
Physicists are a unique bunch of people in every sense of the word. They have a keen interest in the fundamental nature of the universe, take pleasure in doing complicated research, creating new innovations, a special love for science and math, skilled working with specialized instrumentation and computer programs and capable of breaking things apart on purpose and fix them.
Not sure about your personality? Take personality type test and learn more about yourself.
Holland Vocational Code: RIE (Realistic, Investigative, Enterprising)
Besides the fact that physicists are awesome, physicists are one of the most interesting people to work with and have as friends. As a good physicist, you will be able to work in any of the areas that we mentioned above in the pathway and can work in any of the following:
- Failure analysis, software, production design, testing specialists and developers
- Computer analysts
- Researcher scientists
- Advisors and consultants
- Nuclear Medicine Technician Cum Radiographer
- Process Engineer ECD
- Project Executive
- Don’t forget about jobs in the physics jobs in the military.
A starting salary is somewhat similar to other industry and it is at a range of RM2,500 to RM3,000.
However, it is very important to note that Physicists with masters and Phds are very much desirable and will climb the salary ladder much faster. The higher the position, the better the salary and a good physicist at a good corporation in a senior post will earn as much as RM18,000 to RM23,000.
Jobs available are in various fields and there are many companies hiring physicists. Skilled individuals can find jobs within and outside of Malaysia given the fact that they have the qualities demanded by employers.
Institutions offering this course
- Intake : January, May and OctoberFees : RM54,000Intake : January, May & October
- Intake : June and September
- Intake : N/A